Yes, dogs can have hard boiled eggs. A small amount of cooked egg will generally be fine for your dog.
Keep it simple though and leave out the salt and pepper.
Are eggs good for dogs?
Yes. Eggs are highly nutritious and will help your dog maintain good overall condition.
Eggs contain protein as well as vitamins A, B2, B6, B12, D, E and K, along with minerals selenium, zinc, iron and copper.
Simply put, they are a very good source of nutrition for your dog and cooked correctly, eggs are a very healthy treat.
Potential problems could occur if your dog is allergic to eggs. You’re not going to feed them eggs if you know this in advance though.
If you have never fed your dog eggs before, try them with a small amount first and see how they go.
For advice on dog allergies see the American Kennel Club info here.
How do you cook eggs for dogs?
The best way to serve your dog eggs is to either scramble them or serve hard-boiled.
Keep in mind that you should not give dogs any seasoning, as a rule, so keep it simple and plain.
How to cook boiled eggs for your dog
The video below gives a good visual run through. Obviously, you don’t want to be serving hot eggs to your pooch, so cool off first as described underneath. Also, leave out the salt at the end, as it’s not great for dogs.
- Fill a large saucepan with fresh water, add a pinch of salt and bring to the boil.
- Carefully place egg(s) in the boiling water and start your timer
- For soft boiled eggs allow 5 1/2 minutes, for semi-soft 7 1/2 minutes, for hard-boiled 12 minutes.
- When done, remove from the heat. Carefully drain the hot water into the sink and fill the pan back up with cold water. This will stop the eggs cooking and makes the shells easier to peel. It also stops you burning your fingers when handling them. To avoid your eggs turning grey inside, do not let the eggs sit too long in the water.
- Peel the eggs and serve to your pooch! Bon appétit!
Your eggs (with shells on) can be stored for up to a week in the refrigerator, so you can make a batch at the start of the week and peel and serve as required.
How to cook scrambled egg for dogs
Fancy scrambled instead?
- Beat 1-2 eggs in a bowl, so that the yolks and whites are thoroughly mixed.
- Heat a saucepan (or frying pan) on the hob and add a small amount of extra virgin olive oil or unsalted butter.
- Once hot, add the egg mixture and keep stirring until you have you scrambled eggs.
- Allow to cool and serve to your dog, keeping in mind portion control.
Do not add any salt pepper etc. It’s not good for them.
Your dog can have the scrambled egg on its own, or mixed with its regular food. Either way, they’re sure to love it.
How many eggs can a dog eat in a day?
This very much depends on the size and breed of your dog. A rough guide would be half an egg a day for a smaller dog, up to a whole egg for larger breeds.
It’s best to get specific advice for your dog though, so check with your vet.
Can dogs eat raw eggs?
Although dogs can have raw eggs, it is not advisable due to the risk of salmonella.
The risk of your dog actually getting salmonellosis is very low due to their robust digestive system, but it’s probably not worth the risk.
The nutritional content of eggs is not depleted much by cooking, and it is, therefore, advisable to only feed your dogs properly cooked eggs.
However, if your dog does snatch a few raw ones off the side, it’s probably going to be fine!
Can dogs eat eggshells?
Yes, dogs can eat eggshells. Eggshells contain calcium and phosphorous which can benefit their overall health.
To avoid any risk of choking, grind them up finely and add them to their food.
If you do decide to feed them eggshells, to minimize any risk of pollutants, make sure the eggs are organic.
These are of course more costly, but the shells and the actual egg will generally be of a higher quality than the standard caged type, as well as the chicken that laid it having happier life.
Eggs are a very healthy and nutritious food for your dog and make a great snack.
Keep the eggs plain, follow portion control, and you won’t go too far wrong.
Here’s a Pin to save for future referencehttps://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/685954587002555021/
Can dog eat scrambled eggs?
Yes, dogs can eat scrambled eggs. Follow the recipe above and keep it plain.
Can dogs have scrambled eggs every day?
Yes, if you keep the eggs plain and exercise portion control, there is no reason why your dog can’t have a small amount of scrambled eggs each day.
Can dogs eat boiled eggs?
Yes. Dogs can have boiled eggs. Take a look above on how to prepare
What kind of eggs can dogs have?
Boiled or scrambled eggs are the best ways to feed eggs to your dog.
See above for directions.